Monday, May 21, 2007

NYGO


For the past few weeks, we have had a class to prepare us for our NYGO trip that we will be going on at the end of June. The class has been very beneficial. We are doing a journal by Andy Stanley called "MAX Q." It has been a really good study. Each week the students and leaders go through this journal and it has really made me stop and think about many areas of my life. This past week dealt with setting standards in our lives. It was a real eye-opener for me. I remember my high school and college days well and I know I had set some pretty high standards in those days. There is a big difference between setting the standards and actually following the standards.


Jesus set some pretty high standards for all Christ-Followers. I had a great discussion yesterday with my small group about if we follow God's standards for our lives, everything should fall into place. One fact is true, none of us are perfect. There will be many times where we will get pressured in our lives (drinking, smoking, entertainment, sex, language, etc.) If we have set our standards high and follow those , God will be with us when those tough issues arise. My take is that each one of us need high accountability in all of these areas.


This week also dealt with friendships. I believe it is very important that we have friends who are very trustworthy and honest with us. I don't think it is healthy just to have friends that are "yes friends." I believe a real friend is one that isn't afraid to tell you when you are doing something not Christ-like and is going to say something to you because they love you. This is an area where we really need to be careful. I am thankful I have good Christian friends who care about me and want to the best for me.


During NYGO preparation, we have to write out our Salvation Story and a Growth Story. I will be sharing those this week.


"I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me."

Galations 2:20

No comments: