Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Champions


Last night was the championship game of our basketball league at the Elkhart Sports Center. We were going up against the number 1 seed, the Killer Bees, who haven't lost a game all year long. I knew this was going to take a great effort by my team to even stay in the game against them. This was a team who had a lot of confidence going into the game. It showed in warm-ups that they were expecting to beat us.


Let's just say my team showed up in a big way! We took a four point lead into halftime behind some gutsy performances by everyone. Our center, Aaron McDowell, twisted his ankle right before halftime so that was a big concern. I got a really bad cramp in my calf and I played through pain the whole second half.


The second half was some of the best ball we have played all year. We took a ten point lead with about four minutes to play. At that point, it looked like the upset was really alive. However, never count out the Killer Bee's, as they stormed back to take a 1 point lead with 50 seconds left. At that point, I took an inbounds pass and drilled a three in the corner to put us up by two. The Killer Bee's then missed some crucial shots at the end and I put the game away hitting free throws to help capture a huge 59-55 win!


This was one of the best games I have every been associated with, including all my high school and college games. I am very thankful that I had the chance to play with a great group of guys! Thanks Aaron, Robby, Dustin, John, Mike for allowing me to be a part of this. This was a great game that will go down as a classic! The DUCKS are Champions!!!! Thanks to all of our fans for coming out and supporting us last night, it was awesome!

No comments: