Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Worst Back-to-Back Seasons, Weis Still In Charge


It was announced earlier today that Chalie Weis will enter his fifth season as the Notre Dame head coach next season. There was a lot of talk about Notre Dame getting rid of Weis after back-to-back disappointing seasons in South Bend. I have been thinking for the past two weeks on which way I was leaning to either keeping Weis or telling him to hit the road.


I attended the Syracuse game two weeks ago. This was a horrible 2-8 Syracuse team who came to ND a heavy underdog. Well, Notre Dame was up 13 in the fourth quarter and just gave the game to the Orange at the end. I and many other ND backers were furious! How could the Irish lose to a team like this at home? How could Charlie Weis not be prepared for this game? How does the offense only score 23 against this team? I had several questions after this game.


Then came last week's embarrassment to USC. Saturday's 38-3 blow out was typical Notre Dame the past two years. The Irish have lost 4 of their last 5, a school record 9-15 mark over a two-year stretch, and 28-21 overall record in four seasons as coach. Have I mentioned Ty Willingham had a better four year record than Weis? What happened to him? He didn't last a fifth year.


I feel a little bad for new A.D. Jack Swarbrick. This was a tough decision for just taking this job six months ago. If ND knew they were bringing back Weis all along, why did they wait until today to give him next year? Why not announce it last Sunday after the game? My true feeling is that they put some "feelers" out there for a few certain coaches they thought they could bring to South Bend. Urban Meyer, John Gruden, Mike Leach, Skip Holtz, Bob Stoops? My thought is that NONE of these guys wanted the Notre Dame job. Who would? These guys can't even beat the Syracuses of the football world. There is no chance this team can compete with the likes of Alabama, Texas, Florida, Texas Tech, Ohio State, Penn State's . I can't believe I just typed TEXAS TECH. Are you kidding me? When was the last time TEXAS TECH was better in football than Notre Dame?


As you can tell, I am pretty upset about the state of Irish Nation. I am coming to the realization that Notre Dame Football will never be what it used to be. We may have top 5 recruiting classes on paper and in magazines, but these players regress as they get older. One thing Weis has going for him is that he has a young team. If they don't win 9 or 10 games next year, there is someone in Gainesville that I would love to see on our sideline.


Notre Dame will be going to a bowl game, but it will be one of the worst bowl games available. I can't even tell you when the last time they won a bowl game. To be honest with you, I don't care if I watch it or not. I will be watching the Gators to see if they win the National Championship.